Chocolates aren’t the only romantic item on the menu this Valentine’s day, especially if your partner keeps their sweet tooth on a leash.
Due to their intense deep hue, there’s no lack of beet recipes to be found during the month of February. From salads to cookies there’s something for everyone, but the real reason WRKOUT is putting beets on the table are to promote their performance boosting benefits.
That’s right, beets aren’t just pretty and good for you, they’re loaded with nitrates that enhance your workout and here’s why:
"Nitrate supplementation lowers the oxygen demand of exercise and improves performance in endurance sports. They find that beet juice is most effective when drank two to three hours before exercise, and, in general, that 300 to 500 milligrams (500 mg is a bit more than two cups) of inorganic nitrate is enough to provide a 1 to 3 percent improvement in performance — significant enough to give a serious athlete a competitive edge." —The Washington Post
At the end of the day, whether you hate or love these reliable red doses of fuel, we can all still appreciate the visual beauty beets add to the dinner table. Here are a few of our favorite Valentine’s Day inspired dishes to keep you pumped for your next workout:
- Simple Roasted Beets are classic and versatile. Use this recipe to inspire your own creations.
- Beet Hummus for everything and anything that can be dipped.
- Heart-Shaped Roasted Beet Salad for the festive crafters with cookie cutters.
- Beet Risotto that’ll wow any vegetarian with earthy yet sweet flavors.
- Vegan Pink Beet Pancakes to grace any breakfast served in bed.
- Beet & Ginger Granola with Superfoods for that lover who’s always on the go.
- Beetroot, Blue Cheese & Walnut Tart you can share with everyone who loves a great contrast of sweet and savory textures.